01 | general description
With WinLab, the city of Winterthur wants to position itself as a real-world living lab to test in systematic ways social and technological innovations supporting the smart sustainable city development especially in the context of the energy and climate concept aiming at net zero by 2040.
02 | more information
Affordables & Efficients housing / retrofitting
Energy at work
Tourism & Leisure
Startup promotion in the Smart Energy Cluster
The « Startup Funding » project provides for the establishment of an incubator (early-stage funding) for start-ups in the field of « Smart Energy »
Swiss Federal Office of Energy (SFOE) Front Runner programme, ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Technopark Winterthur
Social Power Project
– Cocreated an application to reduce energy consumption in neighbourhoods through a partnership model
– Cofunded initially by the Gebert-Rüf foundation, then by SFOE and in partnership with SUPSI (Applied science university of Italian Switzerland), ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Stadtwerk Winterthur
WinLab Co-Creation Platform
– Flagship tool of WinLab which helps startups to find companies, academia and interested customers. Challenges are driven by citizens and stakeholders. Action fields include energy, mobility, and more related to WinLab
– City of Winterthur, ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Urban Equipe
Innovation Booster Swiss Smart Cities
– Innosuisse funding of incremental and radical innovation in Cities throughout Switzerland
– BFH Berne University of Applied Sciences, ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, Smart City Alliance, etc.
– Interfaces for the Energy Transition through the set up and scale up of 5 Energy Living Labs across Switzerland, among them WinLab
– Funding by Swiss Federal Office of Energy, ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences, City of Winterthur
Living lab Manager
+41 58 934 70 15
The initial governance model of WinLab is an informal partnership between the City of Winterthur and ZHAW. The Smart City Strategy outlines all the key players with whom WinLab have been collaborating. However, there is no formal governance model for WinLab as yet.
New key stakeholders have been emerging who may have an interest in developing a Public, Private, People, Partnership (PPPP) model to advance the governance model of WinLab.
The operational model is divided between the City of Winterthur and ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences and is considered a unique model which works effectively.
03 | Latest developments
- Living Labs
End of Content.